2019-2020 Online Continuing Education Catalog 
    Feb 23, 2024  
2019-2020 Online Continuing Education Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment and Admissions

Applicants must demonstrate readiness to succeed in a challenging academic curriculum. For students without previous college credit from a regionally accredited institution, the high school transcript from a regionally accredited, nationally accredited, or state-approved High School is the most important element of the application. While no minimum grade point average, class rank or standardized test score is specified, one or more of these measures must indicate a readiness for college studies in a chosen academic program.

Any student with a regionally accredited, nationally accredited, or state‐approved High School diploma or a high school equivalency (GED) may apply. The college will also consider students with a High School certificate of completion. Students must take a minimum of the last 16 of the required credit hours with the college in order to graduate with an Associate’s degree, and 30 of the required credit hours with the college in order to graduate with a bachelor’s degree.

How to Apply

There is no application fee.

  • Complete an online application.
  • Request that official transcripts from all previously attended schools, official records for military credit, and any international documents be sent to New England College. New England College does not place emphasis on standardized test scores (SAT/ACT) and therefore does not require them for admission.
  • Students may take up to two (2) seven-week sessions before having to be fully admitted if certain requirements are met. Speak with your admission counselor/enrollment advisor for more information. Only fully admitted students are eligible for federal financial aid. If financial aid is necessary, you must complete the full application process.
  • Active or veteran members of the military who wish to be eligible for transfer credit from their military service must submit an official Joint Service Transcript (JST) or other official transcript from their military education.

Admission Requirements, International Students

International applicants to undergraduate degree programs must have the equivalent of a U.S. High School diploma. All international students are required to use a credentialing organization such as WES or ECE. In addition, students for whom English is not the first language require an English Language proficiency exam.

International Application Materials

  • Completed application form
  • Copy of Passport
  • Declaration of Finances
  • English Language Proficiency Score; for minimum accepted scores, please see below
  • Provisional Certificate and Consolidated Marks (evaluated by a credential organization)
  • A copy of proof of citizenship, if applicable
  • Official High School transcript with date of graduation. Transcript must contain subjects studied, marks or grades awarded and grading scale with minimum marks.
  • Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
  • Year‐by‐year records must be sent directly to the College from the issuing institution to be considered official

Proof of Citizenship

Applicants who are not U.S. citizens, but are residing in the U.S., must provide a copy of a U.S. Visa or permanent resident card.

New England College does not assist online students in obtaining a F‐1 student VISA. Students under a current and valid F‐1 VISA or I‐20 from another school are permitted to take courses as Special Student only. Per INS and SEVIS regulations they are not permitted to take more than 1 online course per term. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain their status with the INS and their host institution.

Please note the following Visa types may not take classes in the U.S.:

VISA Type Code

VISA Type Description

Can take classes


Temporary visitor - business



Temporary visitor - pleasure



Alien in transit



Spouse or child of F1 student



Spouse or child of M1 student


International candidates must prove English language proficiency by at least one of the following:

  • Student was born in the United States or is a Naturalized Citizen
  • Student is a citizen of a country where English is the primary language (see below chart).
  • Student graduated from a regionally accredited or state‐approved US high school/GED
  • Student earned a college degree (associates or better) from a United States college or university. If the coursework was completed at a non‐regionally accredited institution, the applicant must provide a copy of that transcript as proof to waive this requirement.
  • Successfully completed a total of 20 semester hours at a regionally accredited mainland U.S. college or university including three semester hours of English.
  • Test of English Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    Minimum score of 61, internet based
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
    • Minimum score of 5.5
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
    • Minimum score of 43
  • Duolingo English Test
    • Minimum score of 50
  • Society for Testing English Proficiency (STEP) Japanese students must pass the Eiken Test in Practical English Proficiency at the Grade 1 or Grade Pre‐1 level
  • Cambridge Examination, CAE‐C through CAE‐C, SATII: ELPT
    Minimum score of 940

Additional Instructions for Veterans

In keeping with the founding mission of the College, NEC, which has been designated a “Military Friendly” school, welcomes students with military service, providing substantial financial assistance and support services. Updated Information on this program is posted on our website www.nec.edu. A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility is required for verification of eligibility for the veteran’s program. Active or veteran members of the military who wish to be eligible for transfer credit from their military service must submit an official Joint Service Transcript (JST) or other official transcript from their military education.

Veterans are encouraged to contact the Office of Admission to determine eligibility for scholarship assistance. In addition to the steps listed above in the “How to Apply” section, you must arrange for transcripts to be sent through the American Council on Education (ACE), depending on the branch of the military (SMARTS, AARTS, or Community College of the Air Force). ACE transcripts can be requested through ACE at www.acenet.edu; select “Programs & Services,” then “transcript requests.”

Admission Requirements, Special Students

Special students are those students who are not seeking a degree from New England College.

They are required to:

  • Complete an online admissions application
  • Provide a copy of their transcripts from their current or past undergraduate programs
  • For students that may have never attended college, copies of regionally accredited, nationally accredited, or state‐approved high school diploma or a high school equivalency (GED) transcript is required (student must have completed HS or its equivalent)
  • Naturalized citizens must supply a copy of their passport or naturalization papers. Applicants holding Visas and Permanent Resident cards must provide that documentation.
  • International students must provide a copy of a document proving English proficiency (See international policy above.)

Financial aid is not available for special students.

Special students may take any course they want without having to provide proof of prerequisites. They may only take one class in their first term. There is no limit to the total number of courses they can take; however, students who exceed 16 or so credits should be encouraged to matriculate. Matriculation locks in their degree requirements and someone spending too long as a special student may end up with courses that are no use in their degree program should there be a curricular change.

Policy on reapplying to UG programs

Applications to undergraduate programs in the School of Graduate and Professional Studies are saved for one year. Deferred applications are valid for one year. After this time, you will be required to reapply and submit all required support documentation.

Students who seek readmission to their New England College undergraduate degree program must reapply through Graduate Admissions after they have been absent for two years. Students must submit transcripts from any college or university attended since leaving New England College. Students will normally be readmitted under the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.