2017-2018 Online Continuing Education Programs [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Fire Science Administration
The B.A. in Fire Science Administration is designed for the student who had an interest in firefighting administration. This program when combined with Firefighting I and Firefighting II, courses taught at state fire academies, allow the student to progress in the field of firefighting. Individuals can be employed as professional firefighters, but are limited in their ability to advance within this field without a Bachelor’s degree. The program is aligned with the National Fire Academy FESHE Model Curriculum for a bachelor’s program. NEC has offered firefighting management as an IDM in recent years. This major aligns with our core competencies in the area of management by focusing on the administrative and managerial related to firefighting.
- Develop strong written, oral and numeracy skills.
- Develop and Demonstrate critical thinking, leadership skills and ethical decision making.
- Understand the history and theories driving modern fire prevention, mitigation, and suppression.
- Develop this management skills and knowledge to lead organizations though complex personnel issues.
- Understand and utilize management and leadership techniques and theories so as to be able to make a difference at your organization, to be an effective leader.
- Understand the dynamic legal and social environment that affects fire and emergency services
- Understand the administrative dynamics involved in managing fire and emergency departments in context of emergency situations and in the context of overall municipal goals.