2021-2022 Online and Continuing Education Catalog 
    May 29, 2024  
2021-2022 Online and Continuing Education Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment and Admissions

Undergraduate Admission, Online Continuing Education

Applicants must demonstrate readiness to succeed in a challenging academic curriculum. For students without previous college credit from a regionally accredited institution, the high school transcript from a regionally accredited, nationally accredited, or state-approved High School is the most important element of the application. While no minimum grade point average, class rank or standardized test score is specified, one or more of these measures must indicate a readiness for college studies in a chosen academic program.

Any student with a regionally accredited, nationally accredited, or state‐approved High School diploma or a high school equivalency (GED) may apply. The college will also consider students with a High School certificate of completion. Students must take a minimum of the last 16 of the required credit hours with the college in order to graduate with an Associate’s degree, and 30 of the required credit hours with the college in order to graduate with a bachelor’s degree.

How to Apply

There is no application fee.

  • Complete an online application.
  • Request that official transcripts from all previously attended schools, official records for military credit, and any international documents be sent to New England College. New England College does not place emphasis on standardized test scores (SAT/ACT) and therefore does not require them for admission.
  • Students may take up to two (2) seven-week sessions before having to be fully admitted if certain requirements are met. Speak with your admission counselor/enrollment advisor for more information. Only fully admitted students are eligible for federal financial aid. If financial aid is necessary, you must complete the full application process.
  • Active or veteran members of the military who wish to be eligible for transfer credit from their military service must submit an official Joint Service Transcript (JST) or other official transcript from their military education. Please see the Additional Instructions for Veterans section for transcript and educational benefits information.

International Students

International applicants to undergraduate degree programs must have the equivalent of a U.S. High School diploma. All international students are required to use a credentialing organization such as WES or ECE. In addition, students for whom English is not the first language require an English Language proficiency exam.

International Application Materials

  • Completed application form
  • Copy of Passport
  • Declaration of Finances
  • English Language Proficiency Score; for minimum accepted scores, please see below
  • Provisional Certificate and Consolidated Marks (evaluated by a credential organization)
  • A copy of proof of citizenship, if applicable
  • Official High School transcript with date of graduation. Transcript must contain subjects studied, marks or grades awarded and grading scale with minimum marks.
  • Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
  • Year‐by‐year records must be sent directly to the College from the issuing institution to be considered official

Proof of Citizenship

Applicants who are not U.S. citizens, but are residing in the U.S., must provide a copy of a U.S. Visa or permanent resident card.

New England College does not assist online students in obtaining a F‐1 student VISA. Students under a current and valid F‐1 VISA or I‐20 from another school are permitted to take courses as Special Student only. Per INS and SEVIS regulations they are not permitted to take more than 1 online course per term. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain their status with the INS and their host institution.

Please note the following Visa types may not take classes in the U.S.:

VISA Type Code

VISA Type Description

Can take classes


Temporary visitor - business



Temporary visitor - pleasure



Alien in transit



Spouse or child of F1 student



Spouse or child of M1 student


International candidates must prove English language proficiency by at least one of the following:

  • Student was born in the United States or is a Naturalized Citizen
  • Student is a citizen of a country where English is the primary language.
  • Student graduated from a regionally accredited or state‐approved US high school/GED
  • Student earned a college degree (associates or better) from a United States college or university. If the coursework was completed at a non‐regionally accredited institution, the applicant must provide a copy of that transcript as proof to waive this requirement.
  • Successfully completed a total of 20 semester hours at a regionally accredited mainland U.S. college or university including three semester hours of English.
  • Test of English Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    • Minimum score of 80, internet based
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
    • Minimum score of 6.5
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
    • Minimum score of 43
  • Duolingo English Test
    • Minimum score of 105
  • Society for Testing English Proficiency (STEP)
  • Japanese students must pass the Eiken Test in Practical English Proficiency at the Grade 1 or Grade Pre‐1 level
  • Cambridge Examination, CAE‐C through CAE‐C
    • Minimum score of 940

Additional Instructions for Veterans

In keeping with the founding mission of the College, NEC, which has been designated a “Military Friendly” school, welcomes students with military service (all branches: Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, National Guard and Reserves), providing substantial financial assistance and support services. Updated information on this military and veteran educational benefits program is posted on our website at www.nec.edu. Each semester, military identified students are offered priority registration for on campus registration. Students are able to register an additional 1-3 days early.

Veteran applicants (or dependents of a Veteran) should submit a copy of DD-214, Certificate of Eligibility (or DD2384 for Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve, MGIB-SR) for verification of eligibility for veteran educational benefits. Applications for veteran benefits may be obtained directly from the VA by visiting www.benefits.va.gov. In addition to the steps listed above in the “How to Apply” section, you must arrange for transcripts to be sent to New England College. Military transcript requests (JST, SMART, AARTS, CCAF, etc.) for various branches may be made through the ACE link here: www.acenet.edu/Programs-Services/Pages/Credit-Transcripts/Request-Transcripts.aspx. JSTs may be requested directly through this site: jst.doded.mil/jst/.

For more information, veterans are encouraged to visit www.nec.edu, and type “veterans” in the search bar in the upper right hand corner of the home page.

New England College meets or exceeds requirements of the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (DoD MOU) regarding the recruitment and enrollment of active duty service members. In particular, New England College does not provide commission or bonus payments to anyone involved with recruitment, enrollment, or awarding of financial assistance. Further, NEC recruiters do not make multiple unsolicited contacts, or engage in same-day recruitment and registration tactics for the purpose of securing service member enrollments.

Non-Degree Special Students

Special students are students who wish to take courses with New England College without admission into a degree program. Students may wish to do this for a variety of reasons, including:

  • Students attending and planning to graduate from another college or university but wish to spend a term or more at New England College;
  • Students needing to take additional undergraduate credits in order to meet graduate program pre-requisites or professional continuing education requirements;
  • Students wanting to take courses for personal or professional enrichment;
  • High School students taking courses under a dual credit agreement;

To take courses as a non-degree special student, contact the Registrar’s Office registrarsoffice@nec.edu or 603-428-2203.

Financial aid is not available for special students.

Special students may take any course for which they meet the prerequisites (proof of eligibility may be required). Students who wish to pursue a degree and exceed 16 credits are encouraged to matriculate. Special students interested in graduate courses require permission of the program director.

Deferred Applications and Readmission

Applications to undergraduate programs in the School of Graduate and Professional Studies are saved for one year. Deferred applications are valid for one year. After this time, you will be required to reapply and resubmit all required support documentation. International students who defer more than 1 term may be required to submit updated documentation.

Students who seek readmission to their New England College undergraduate degree program must reapply through Graduate Admissions after they have been absent for two years. Students must submit transcripts from any college or university attended since leaving New England College. Students will normally be readmitted under the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.

Graduate Admission

Professional training and advanced academic experience is important when building a career, earning a positive reputation, and enriching your life. The Graduate and Professional Studies programs at New England College provide learning experiences in a variety of fields and specialties. We understand everyone has different learning styles and schedules, so our programs are built to be versatile, comprehensive, and enjoyable on campus, online, hybrid, or at one of our off-campus instructional locations. Expert faculty, real world experience, and proven curriculums make our educational engagement rich. Whether you are a working professional, recent graduate, career‐changer, or someone seeking a more thorough knowledge in your field, we believe New England College is where you belong. Information can be found at https://www.nec.edu/admission/graduate-programs/ or by sending an email to graduateadmission@nec.edu.

NEC graduates are eligibly for a graduate discount of up to 25% when applying to many degree programs.  Information can be found at http://www.nec.edu/admission/ or by sending an email to graduateadmission@nec.edu.